Do you suffer from persistent jaw pain, tension headaches, or worn teeth? If so, you may be suffering from temporomandibular joint dysfunction/disorder (also referred to as TMJ or TMD), a painful jaw disorder that Dr. Daniel S. Smith, DDS and Dr. Gregory J. Wetterhus, DDS regularly treat successfully.
TMJ affects 20–30% of the adult population; it is more common in women and in those between the ages of 20 and 40.
TMD/TMJ symptoms include:
- Clicking, popping, or grating sounds coming from the jaw
- Muscle pain that can be felt in the cheeks and temples
- Jaw joint pain
- Difficulty opening the mouth wide
- Lockjaw, or the jaw getting stuck open
- A more bulky-looking face
- Severe tension headaches that can be debilitating